Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I came in First!!

We had a great weekend we went to a little rustic cabin in the woods in La Pine, Oregon. It is about a four hour drive from where we live. When we arrived, after driving on dirt road after dirt road in the forest, we came upon the little rustic cabin. When I say rustic I mean rustic. It did not have any running water the only water source was from the outside pump. It had a wood cook stove which was amazing and this little cabin overlooks the deshutes river. It was beautiful and great. I took a lot of pictures but our camera failed us (darn). We did a lot of fishing (cameron caught one). On Sunday we went to sunriver where I was competing in my first 5 mile race. Saturday night I had a hard time sleeping, I wanted to do well. We arrived at the Sunriver Resort Saturday morning at 7:30 am. Registration took place at 8:00 and the race was due to start at 9:00. I registered and received my number and a shirt. Being it was my first race I didnt know where to pin the number (you want to make sure it is in just the right spot). I was watching the racers arrive checking out my competition. I had butterflies. We had a prerace meeting at 8:45. They were going over our course and telling us to follow all the blue arrows. The course was amazing. around a golf course follow the river around the airport and back again. It was 75 degrees this day, the sky was blue, Snow capped Mt Bachelor off in the distance, what a beautiful sight. It was time to start. Brian, Cayden and Cameron were there to cheer me on. Here it goes they start. Take your mark, set, Go! I started off a little too fast but that was ok. I was on a little paved runway through the golf course, listening to the birds, taking in all the fresh air I come around the bend I see the river flowing by me, I see Bri and the boys in the car Yelling GO MOM I kept running keeping a good pace I felt my shin start tightening up I need to stop and stretch and tie my shoe. I kept going, I see a coyote, I start picking up my pace, there are a lot of folks on the trail riding bikes and running so I am not too frightened. I come around still along the river I see 3 fish jump in the river it was amazing I then come upon 4 deer on the course I am thanking God for all his beauty and what a gorgeous creation. I come upon the drink station I am so thirsty. I take a drink and the volunteer tells me only one mile and a half to go I yell YEAH!! I see the boys again in the car they were able to follow along on parts and they are yelling for me. I keep going I am feeling great my leg loosened up so it is no longer hurting I am enjoying the environment. I come around the airport a little plane is landing. People are passing me on bikes and saying "You are almost there" I see it the Finish Line in the distance I pick up the pace and start booking it to the finish line I see my family I am excited a few more feet to go, the people are cheering, there I go across the finish line arms up and all smiles... 49:44 is my time. That is a very good finish for my first race. 5 miles in 49 minutes and 44 seconds. I received a first place ribbon for my age group. I love the Race. It was amazing.

2 comments:

Carrie Postma said...

OH MY GOSH! I am so proud of you and soooo excited!!! I was energized reading your experience....you are so motivating! Love that your boys could be there with you along the way.
um, a coyote would inspire me to run a little quicker too ;-)
CONGRATS!!!

cathy said...

The fact that you were able to take in all the glory around you is amazing!! I was cheering you on as I read your post!! Great job!!